Saturday, September 6, 2014 is South Oakland Community Day (SOCD) at Dan Marino Field on Frazier St from Noon-7pm. This year’s event is proudly presented in collaboration between the South Oakland Neighborhood Group (SONG) and the Oakcliffe Housing Club (OHC), both volunteer community groups. South Oakland Community Day is a fun-filled event that has attracted nearly 500 participants in the past with food & music, raffles & giveaways, sports, games and activities for all ages.
The South Oakland community volunteers enrich the lives of the people and the neighborhood in which they reside. Volunteers coordinate clean-ups of city streets and collaborate with local politicians, institutions and other stakeholders to maintain and correct necessary neighborhood needs. Volunteers protect the greenways and green spaces that adorn the cliff sides and provide student groups with environmental education through hands-on stewardship and ecological training. Volunteers also work with the neighborhood youth through after-school and lunch programs. For their efforts, we would like to make this event a great close to the summer.
The end of the summer means the beginning of a new semester for the university students that will soon call South Oakland home. South Oakland Community Day is the ideal time for neighbors to reach out to the many new students from Point Park University, Carnegie Mellon University, Carlow University and the University of Pittsburgh and welcome them into our community. With this in mind, we would like to keep the tradition of making this event mostly inexpensive or free.
As a valued member of our community we would like to ask for your support to make this the best event possible. You can help us by becoming by donating gifts we can use for raffles, food, money or volunteering to help. Donations help us pay for food, supplies and programming. Our donation request form can be found on the reverse of this letter. As our fiscal agent, Oakland Planning and Development Corporation will provide a copy of their tax-exempt certificate as needed.
Thank you once again for considering this local community event. Every little bit helps!
|David Panasiuk, Chairman, OHC
Co-Chair, SOCD Planning Committee
|Mark Oleniacz, Communications, SONG,
Co-Chair, SOCD Planning Committee
Donation request form for South Oakland Community Day 2014
Saturday, September 6, 2014 Noon – 7pm
|Next Door Neighbor $15
Resident Treasurer $100
|Neighborhood Chairperson $150
Each and every dollar or donated item
we receive is greatly appreciated.
Please make check payable to: Oakland Planning & Development Corporation
***Important: Please note “South Oakland Community Day” or “SOCD” in the check memo
- For help or more information, please contact Sponsorship Chair, David Panasiuk by email through the Song Contact Page or fill out the Donor form below.
- You can also make monetary donations online at: www.youcaring.com/South-Oakland-Community-Day
- Donated items will receive recognition on our website and a listing in our program based on contribution level value.
- We are now accepting applications for vendors to the event. For more information about becoming a vendor, please contact the Marketing and Volunteer Chair, Mark Oleniacz through the SONG Contact Page.
- To fill out a vendor application online, please visit: http://SouthOaklandPgh.org/SOCD/Vendors/
- If you would like to volunteer for the event or help in anyway, please contact the Marketing and Volunteer Chair, Mark Oleniacz through the SONG Contact Page.