(still updating this post as links to sources are added and verified)
Oakland Planning & Development Corporation (OPDC) has put together a bag with some useful information about living in Oakland and being a “Good Neighbor”. OPDC is seeking volunteers to commit to specific blocks and days for the door-knocking campaign. Specifically Saturdays August 24 and September 7. They will provide lunch and supplies for volunteers. To get involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 412.621.7863 ext. 21.
Pitt will host community block parties on September 11th, 19th, and 26th in Oakcliffe, Central Oakland, North Oakland, respectively. OPDC will publish specific places and times as they confirm details. These parties are free and open to all neighbors.
Included in the bag are:
- Brochure on when to use 9-1-1 vs 3-1-1
- Oakland 2025 Sticker
- “Trash Talk” Magnet
- Trash Pickup Days In Oakland Neighborhoods
- Being A Good Neighbor
- Community Contacts
- Pitt Student Guide To Campus Life 2013
- Emphasizes Pitt’s expectation for all students to represent the university respectfully whether on or off-campus.
- Pittsburgh Refuse/Bulk and Recycling Pickup Schedule
- Local Neighborhood (South Oakland) Flyer
- South Oakland Neighborhood Group (SONG, the website you’re on right now)
- Oakwatch – The Oakland Code Enforcement Project
- The Green Team – Putting the “Oak” back in Oakland
- Important Note about new rules on disposal of TVs and other electronics.
- A map of South Oakland (No, Atwood street is NOT in South Oakland)
- For more info about OPDC
- “Party Right” Flyer
- If you’re gonna party… PARTY RIGHT! …don’t party foul!
- South Oakland Community Day Flyer